In parts of the United States and the bottomless pit of the internet, today, June 14, is considered “Barack Obama Day.” On social media, the hashtag #ObamaDayJune14th is going viral.
So I thought I would commemorate this day by listing some of the former Democratic president’s many accomplishments.
- wearing that tan suit one time
- deporting more people than any other president, 2.7 million, earning the ignominious title “deporter in chief”
- dropping 26,171 bombs on seven Muslim-majority countries in his last year in office alone
- overseeing a genocidal war in Yemen that has killed hundreds of thousands of people and unleashed the largest humanitarian catastrophe on Earth
- supporting al-Qaeda in Syria, funneling billions of dollars of weapons to hardened Salafi-jihadist fanatics to try to destroy the country, and fueling the rise of ISIS
- arming al-Qaeda in Yemen as well
- destroying Libya, once the most prosperous country in Africa, leaving behind a failed state with open-air slave markets
- giving the Israeli apartheid regime $38 billion in unconditional military aid and arming it as it bombed civilians in Gaza (in three separate, barbaric wars: 2008-2009, 2012, and 2014)
- creating the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a neoliberal “free trade” monstrosity that would have ensured even more dystopian corporate tyranny over the global political and economic system
Oh yeah, and here are some more unforgettable classics from Obama:
- sponsoring the military coup in Honduras, overthrowing its democratically elected left-leaning government and installing a far-right narco-dictatorship led by a neoliberal autocrat whose drug lord brother smuggled thousands of tons of cocaine and machine guns
- managing Project Gunrunner and Operation Fast and Furious, in which the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sent thousands of guns to murderous drug cartels in Mexico
- backing the parliamentary coup in Brazil,