‘Like a bad horror movie’: UK govt. advisers Vallance and Whitty accused of ‘terrifying everyone’ with doom-laden Covid prediction

21-09-20 05:31:00,

The British government’s top scientific advisers have issued a stark prediction: 50,000 cases of Covid-19 by mid-October and up to 200 daily deaths. However, the pair have been accused of needless doom-mongering.

Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty and Chief Scientific Advisor Sir Patrick Vallance addressed the public on Monday, and their demeanor was stern. Britain, Whitty said, had “turned a corner” in the fight against the deadly coronavirus, in a “bad way.” Vallance then explained that new cases are “roughly doubling” in the UK every week, and left unchecked, he predicted there could be “something like 50,000 cases in the middle of October per day.” Concurrent with this would be “200-plus deaths per day.”

“The virus has genetically moved a bit, but it has not changed in terms of its propensity and its ability to cause disease and to cause death,” Vallance said. “There’s no doubt we’re in a situation where the numbers are increasing. I’d like to remind you just how quickly this can move.”

Vallance and Whitty’s prediction is just that: a prediction. It assumes that the current growth rate will continue exponentially, and that deaths will rise proportionally. Predictions, however, can be wrong. Modelling by Imperial College London in spring suggested that half a million Britons would die of Covid-19. This modelling informed the government’s ‘stay at home’ policy, before it was revealed to be founded on faulty data. Its projected death toll was revised down to 20,000, a figure that was wrong too, as nearly 42,000 have died so far.

For cases to double every week, the virus would need a daily growth rate of just over 10 percent. However, current government estimates put the daily growth rate somewhere between two and seven percent. Should that rate remain the same, Valance and Whitty’s prediction would be twice as severe as reality.

The two advisers also dismissed the notion that the virus was growing less deadly, despite death rates across Europe dropping off in recent months, and claimed that the increase in cases was not driven by an increase in testing. 

The pair were accused online of fearmongering, with their worst-case scenario described as something from “a bad horror movie.”

Modelling has been disastrously wrong for Covid ,

 » Lees verder

Ärzte ohne Grenzen: “Horror” in spanischen Altenheimen

19-08-20 06:36:00,

“Sie trommelten gegen die Türen und flehten darum, herausgelassen zu werden”

“Zu schwach, zu spät und schlecht” ist eine Studie der spanischen Ärzte ohne Grenzen über die Lage in den spanischen Altenheimen während der Corona-Krise überschrieben. Die Unterüberschrift: “Das inakzeptable Elend alter Menschen während COVID-19 in Spanien” beschreibt den Inhalt einer vernichtenden Studie von Medicos Sin Fronteras (MSF).

In Spanien wird sie von vielen Medien aufgegriffen. Sie zitieren daraus zum Beispiel die Forderung, dass das, was in Altenheimen passiert ist, “sich nie wieder wiederholen dürfe”.

Die große Tageszeitung El País greift vor allem den “Mangel an Koordination unter Institutionen und das Fehlen von Führung” heraus. Sie kritisiert damit auch die ihr nahestehende sozialdemokratische Regierung, die nur schwach, spät und schlecht eingegriffen hat. Eine effektive Hilfe habe es nicht gegeben.

Durch die Unterbringung der Menschen in geschlossenen Räumen und angesichts einer fehlenden medizinischen Versorgung habe sich die Ansteckung vervielfacht und die Sterblichkeit erhöht. Für MSF hängt “ein guter Teil der Schwierigkeiten mit strukturellen Mängeln sowie mit prekären Beschäftigungsverhältnissen und Kürzungen in diesem Sektor zusammen”.

Über die dantesken Szenen hatte Telepolis schon im März berichtet: Alte Menschen waren einfach zum Sterben zurückgelassen worden. Zwischenzeitlich waren Dokumente aufgetaucht, dass die rechte Regionalregierung der Hauptstadtregion Madrid angeordnet hatte, alten Menschen die Einlieferung in Krankenhäuser zu verweigern.

Systemische Probleme

Allein dort konnte die Todeszahl alter Menschen, denen jede medizinische Hilfe verweigert wurde, auf 7.291 beziffert werden. Ärzte ohne Grenzen berichtet auch vom “Horror” und von dramatischen Situationen, die sich in den Heimen abgespielt haben. So wird eine “eiserne” Isolation angeprangert, der die Bewohner unterworfen waren.

Es wurden Szenen von Feuerwehrleuten beobachtet, wo Menschen “gegen geschlossene Türen trommelten und flehten, herausgelassen zu werden”. Die Organisation mahnt, dass Lehren aus den Vorgängen gezogen werden müssen, da “das Risiko, dass alte Menschen in Altenheimen erneut betroffen sind, nicht abgenommen hat”.

Als Schlussfolgerungen kommt die umfassende Studie zum Resümee, dass die “übermäßige Sterblichkeit während dieser Krise auf strukturelle und systemische Probleme im Zusammenhang mit dem spanischen Modell” hinweise. Unterstrichen wird die Notwendigkeit, dass die medizinische Versorgung verbessert werden müsse, egal ob es öffentliche oder private Heime sind.

Das derzeitige Modell der Heimpflege sei mehr auf die Bedingungen des Dienstleistungsanbieters als auf die die sozialen und gesundheitlichen Bedürfnisse der alten Menschen zugeschnitten.

 » Lees verder

“It’s Like A Horror Film”: Botched Wuhan Quarantine Left Dead Bodies In The Street, Sick Waiting Days For Care

12-02-20 07:42:00,

Western media organizations have published a series of in-depth reports attempting to illuminate what life on the ground at the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak looks like. But few have captured the atmosphere of the situation quite like a team of AFP journalists who lingered in Wuhan after the lockdown, and have detailed their experiences in diary format.

The diary begins on Jan. 23, the day Wuhan was placed under lockdown. It starts as one might expect: Though the news was a shock, few tried to escape the city before the lockdown officially went into effect. Police chase the last travelers out of the railroad station.

But the situation doesn’t really start to escalate until Jan. 25, or New Year’s Day in China.

Those who went to worship at the city’s Guiyan temple, normally packed this time of year, found it empty: nobody was allowed inside.

“No-one is allowed inside in order to prevent the virus spreading,” a uniformed man – who is not wearing the compulsory mask – tells AFP.

On the fourth day of the crackdown, conditions in Wuhan really started to deteriorate. This marked the beginning of hard times for Wuhan. Overwhelmed hospitals arbitrarily turned people away if their swab tests came back negative for the virus. One man told an AFP reporter that he had been turned away by four hospitals, despite being seriously ill. “I haven’t slept,” he said. He was getting ready to wait in line all night to hopefully be admitted to another hospital.

For the first in their memory, the AFP reporters said Chinese out on the streets approached them to complain about the government’s handling of the lockdown.

“Like a horror film,” says one witness, who tells AFP bodies were left unattended for hours.

About 20 kilometers from the center for the city, police had set up roadblocks around the city’s perimeter. Nurses and other reinforcements were let in to help the exhausted medical personnel staffing the city’s hospitals. 

By day five, all non-essential traffic had been banned from the city. Taxis have been requisitioned by the state to help transport people to hospitals.

 » Lees verder

The Latest UN Horror Show: Christian Refugees Ignored

06-08-19 07:19:00,

Authored by Uzay Bulut via The Gatestone Institute,

  • Jordan is supposed to be their transit country; they are seeking resettlement to other countries via the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Australian Special Humanitarian Program.

  • The registration with the UNHCR gives them the protective status of refugee as they await resettlement. Yet, the process of resettlement takes at minimum several months and sometimes even years due to the growing refugee backlog….. “The majority of those stuck in limbo have been waiting more than two years—some since the rise of ISIS in 2014,” according to the report.

  • “Since January, the process has become even slower and more difficult. The UNHCR has not even granted newcomers refugee status since. They just give them an appointment date, then they cancel the date and give them a new one. So we all keep waiting.” — Lorance Yousuf Kazqeea, a Christian originally from Baghdad, has been an asylum seeker in Jordan with his wife and two children since September 2017; to Gatestone Institute.

  • “You can contact the local UNHCR office in your country and demand answers – why Iraqi Christians have been waiting for resettlement for years and why the West continuously rejects them.” — Juliana Taimoorazy, founding president of the Iraqi Christian Relief Council, which has been active in Jordan since 2015; to Gatestone Institute.

Since the 2014 invasion and genocide by the Islamic State (ISIS) in Iraq, at least 16,000 Assyrian Christians from Iraq have become refugees in Jordan. Most are still suffering economically and psychologically there, under extremely difficult circumstances.

These Assyrian Christians are in Jordan on a temporary basis with plans to emigrate to a third country. However, as they have not been given official work permits by the Jordanian government, they largely rely on their savings, remittances sent by relatives abroad or aid from charity organizations and churches. Jordan is supposed to be their transit country; they are seeking resettlement in other countries via the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Australian Special Humanitarian Program.

Pictured: The Za’atari refugee camp in Jordan.

 » Lees verder

LA Horror Story: More Parents Horrified Over 5G Cell Towers Near Schools

17-07-19 07:26:00,

By B.N. Frank

There’s a lot of information and misinformation being reported about health risks from exposure to 5G technology.  So if you can only remember one thing about 5G and health risks, this would be it:

The telecom industry has provided NO scientific evidence that 5G is safe.

If you can remember two things:

There is research that says it IS NOT safe (see 1, 2). 

So, parents horrified about 5G towers near their kids’ schools is appropriate.  In fact, parents horrified about ANY cell towers (or antennas) near their kids’ schools is appropriate because health experts including the American Academy of Pediatrics have warned that children are more affected by exposure to wireless radiation than adults.

From PrepForThat:

Residents in the suburban Los Angeles community of Lakewood say they are “horrified” by the thought of 5G network tower installations. At a community meeting, residents spoke out about 5G health concerns, saying that 5G is not proven safe.

“I’m horrified, to be honest with you,” Lakewood resident Christina Rich said via CBSLA. “I don’t want a cell tower anywhere near our house. They don’t belong in the neighborhoods. They haven’t been proven to be safe.”

Christina was far from alone in her concern over the controversial 5G network.

Monica Draghichi, another concerned parent, said she’s worried that about the density of the towers around schools.

“I’m concerned about the distance to my kids, to the schools in our community and the overall effects and lack of regulation around it,” she said.

Lakewood isn’t the first California community to be up in arms over 5G technology. In fact, parents at a Ripon, California elementary school forced Sprint to remove a single 5G tower they claimed was causing an uptick in childhood cancer. Sprint’s concession to remove the tower served as one of the larger victories over 5G in the United States. In Rhode Island, telecommunication companies are installing 5G towers without public consent.

 » Lees verder