Iran’s Military “On The Cusp Of War” As US Allies Pull Troops From Iraq

iran’s-military-“on-the-cusp-of-war”-as-us-allies-pull-troops-from-iraq

15-05-19 07:40:00,

In probably the most significant sign so far that we could be headed for yet another major war in the Middle East, multiple European allies of the United States are rapidly pulling their forces from Iraq and the Persian Gulf region on fears they could get unwillingly sucked into confrontation with Iran.

Tehran isn’t backing down the US escalation ladder either, given moments ago Iran’s Revolutionary Guard commander said via the Reuters newswire: 

“We are on the cusp of a full scale confrontation with the enemy.” 

Iran’s Minister of Defense Amir Hatami also vowed Wednesday“We will defeat the American-Zionist front,” according to the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).

This follows on the heels of the US State Department’s dramatic ordering of an evacuation of all non-essential diplomatic personnel and their families from the American embassy in Baghdad, citing an “imminent” threat.

The USS Abraham Lincoln carrier group makes its way through the lengthy Suez Canal en route to the Persian Gulf. 

As of Wednesday morning the countries of Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands have suspended military support operations in Iraq, citing rising US-Iran tensions. And further a top Iraqi diplomat told reporters at a press conference in Moscow that “Iraq is a sovereign nation. We will not let [the US] to use our territory” for any military operations against Iran.  

Previously on Tuesday Spain was the first to announce that it ordered its military frigate, the Méndez Núñez, which has 215 sailors on board, out of a USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group currently en route to the Persian Gulf, citing “it will not enter into any other type of mission” in the Persian Gulf region, according to the Spanish Minister of Defense.

Minister of Defense Margarita Robles ordered the “temporary measure of withdrawal of the frigate Méndez Núñez (F-104) from the combat group of the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln while it is in the Middle East,” sources from her office told the digital edition of El País.

As of early Wednesday Germany also announced it is temporarily suspending its operations in Iraq, which includes training local soldiers and security personnel as part of US-led coalition efforts. 

 » Lees verder

Irans Hardliner auf dem Vormarsch | KenFM.de

irans-hardliner-auf-dem-vormarsch-kenfm.de

28-02-19 12:38:00,

Als Antwort auf den Bruch des Atomdeals erstarken im Iran militante und revolutionäre Kräfte

von Jochen Mitschka

Im Juli 2018 erschien im Al-Monitor ein Artikel mit dem Titel „Treffen Sie die neue Generation von iranischen Hardlinern“. (1) Er beschrieb die neuen jungen Wilden, die eine Renaissance des Geistes der Revolution von 1979 fordern, und dabei genau in diesem Geiste, weniger religiös fundamentalistisch als sozial und politisch fundamentalistisch sind. Und diese Kräfte wurden nach dem Bruch des JCPOA, also des Atom-Deals durch die USA, gestärkt, hatten sie doch immer davor gewarnt, irgendeine Vereinbarung mit den USA und dem Westen allgemein einzugehen. Und die Befürworter einer Annäherung und Liberalisierung, welche den Vertrag gegen Widerstand im Iran durchsetzten, befinden sich auf dem Rückzug. Vermutlich war dies genau das Ziel der immer gröber werdenden Drohungen und Sanktionen der USA, und die Verweigerung der transatlantischen EU-Politiker, eine echte Alternative für den Erhalt des Vertrages gegen den Willen der USA durchzusetzen. Denn sind erst einmal die Falken im Iran an der Macht ist es leichter, einen Krieg zu rechtfertigen.

Einer der Architekten des Iran für eine Annäherung an den Westen, der Hauptverhandler des Atom-Deals, der in den USA ausgebildete Außenminister Mohammad Javad Zarif, war schon in den letzten Wochen als dünnhäutig aufgefallen. Hatte er doch erbost auf eine immer wieder durch die Medien verbreitete Lüge, mit der behauptet wurde, eine UNO-Resolution würde dem Iran verbieten, Raketentechnologie zu entwickeln, in einem Interview reagiert. Wer Zarif in den letzten Jahren als einen der kühlsten Diplomaten kannte, für den lohnt sich zu sehen, dass er nun die Geduld verlor. (2)

Aber noch schlimmer muss für Zarif die Erkenntnis gewesen sein, dass die Politiker Europas, nach so vielen Lippenbekenntnissen, doch nicht gewillt waren, den Vertrag gegen den Willen der USA mit Leben zu erfüllen, und immer neue Ausreden fanden, um dann doch letztlich die Sanktionen der USA zu respektieren. Und so kommt der am Montag, den 25. Februar angekündigte Rücktritt, der vom Regierungschef Rouhani noch nicht bestätigt wurde, für Beobachter des Irans nicht überraschend. 

Innerhalb der Kleriker des Irans, die in etwa die gleiche Rolle spielen, wie die Parteien in Deutschland, war in den letzten Monaten der Druck gewachsen,

 » Lees verder

Iran’s General Soleimani Ramping Up Efforts To Counter Trump In Iraq And Syria

iran8217s-general-soleimani-ramping-up-efforts-to-counter-trump-in-iraq-and-syria

19-01-19 02:46:00,

Authored by Elijah Magnier, Middle East based chief international war correspondent for Al Rai Media

“Trump will pull out US forces in 30 days”… “Trump won’t withdraw now”… “Trump will pull out from Syria in four months”… “The US forces began withdrawing military equipment but not the personnel”… “Trump will maintain a 20 mile buffer zone in Syria”All these contradictory announcements have come from the White House in the last month or so, indicating some combination of the current occupant of the White House’s lack of experience in foreign policy, or lack of control of his own administration.

Nobody in the Middle East believes Trump. Only President Erdogan confirmed the serious intention of the US to withdraw from Syria but was knocked down by Trump’s threat to “cripple the Turkish economy if Turkey attacks the Kurds”. But soon after Trump’s threat to Erdogan, he again changed his mind and suddenly announced a new plan for a buffer zone “to protect the Kurds”, Turkey’s worse enemies in the Levant. Trump is signaling a high degree of confusion about his intention to stay or leave Syria.

It doesn’t matter if the world doesn’t understand what Trump’s plan is. There is no point in trying to analyse and predict the next step because Trump himself doesn’t seem to know what to do next. He wakes up with one decision and seems to change it hours later or the following day.

Nevertheless, Trump’s continuously changing plans are not preventing his adversary the Iranian General Qassem Soleimani  the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps in the al Quds Brigade which perceives itself responsible for supporting all movements of the oppressed peoples in the world, mainly the Lebanese Hezbollah, Iraqi, Palestinian and Afghan groups, but others as well  from making plans to counter Trump in Syria and Iraq.

Well informed sources say “Soleimani is holding meetings with various of his allies’ groups in the Middle East to stand against US forces and push them away from Iraq and Syria”. According to these sources, neither Iran nor Russia believe in Trump’s declared intention to withdraw and both are convinced that at least some US forces will remain in the Levant.

 » Lees verder

Ahvaz en Irans etnische tijdbommen | Uitpers

Ahvaz en Irans etnische tijdbommen | Uitpers

25-09-18 09:50:00,

Burgers van Ahvaz demonstreren na de aanslag toegeschreven aan Irans vijanden. (Wikimedia.commons)

Teheran geeft de schuld voor de aanslag van vorige week in de stad Ahvaz aan zijn Arabische tegenstanders, Saoedi-Arabië en de Verenigde Arabische Emiraten. Die aanslag werd opgeëist door een groep die opkomt voor de rechten van de Arabische bevolking in het zuiden van Iran. Waar of niet, in dit gebied zijn separatistische bewegingen al lang actief. Arabieren zijn een de vele etnische minderheden naast de Perzen – die ongeveer de helft van de bevolking uitmaken. De Islamitische Republiek negeert die etnische tijdbommen, maar daarmee zijn ze niet weg.

Iraanse puzzel

Vanzelfsprekend dat Teheran de Saoedi’s en de Emiraten beschuldigt. Vorig jaar al zei Mohamed Ben Salman, de sterke man van Saoedi-Arabië, dat hij niet zou wachten tot het conflict met Iran op Saoedisch terrein komt, “wij zullen ervoor zorgen dat het aan Iraanse kant wordt uitgevochten”. Dan hoeft niet rechtstreeks te zijn, er zijn genoeg Iraanse groepen die in actie willen komen. Zoals het “Democratisch Volksfront van de Arabieren van Ahvaz” dat eerst de verantwoordelijkheid had opgeëist, maar die nadien toeschreef aan een dissidente fractie.

Ahvaz ligt in de olierijke provincie Khoezistan, door de Arabieren ook Arabistan genoemd. Daar wonen de meeste van de meer twee miljoen Arabieren in Iran – op een totale bevolking van 82 miljoen. Het gebied is al langer toneel van spanningen en incidenten tussen het centraal gezag en Arabieren die op steun, volgens Teheran ook gewapende, vanuit de Arabische buurlanden kunnen rekenen. Reza Khan, die zich in 1926 tot  sjah van Perzië uitriep, had de Arabische chef die tot dan Arabistan met Britse steun regeerde, verdreven en herdoopte Arabistan tot Khoezistan.

Iran

Als sjah herdoopte hij ook de benaming van het land, Perzië werd Iran. Die naam moest verwijzen naar de Arische voorvaderen van de Perzische en andere Iraanse volkeren, en vooral naar het grote historische Perzië. Veel Perzen zeggen dat de Arabische verovering in de 7e eeuw voor hen een tragedie was, hun beschaving stond immers “veel hoger” dan die Arabische. Plaats Iran zeker nooit in de Arabische wereld, zoals een zeldzame toerist wel eens doet.

De Perzen maken  naar schatting de helft van die bevolking uit, de Koerden naargelang de bronnen tussen 7 en 10 percent,

 » Lees verder

US Preparing To Bomb Iran’s Nuclear Capabilities As Soon As Next Month: Report

US Preparing To Bomb Iran’s Nuclear Capabilities As Soon As Next Month: Report

27-07-18 10:21:00,

As the White House convenes a policy meeting on Iran Thursday involving senior Pentagon officials and cabinet advisers under national security adviser John Bolton, and after a week of intense saber-rattling by President Donald Trump and his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani, a new bombshell report by Australia’s ABC says the White House is drawing up plans to strike Iran’s alleged nuclear facilities as early as next month. 

Senior figures in the Australia’s Turnbull government have told the ABC they believe the US is prepared to bomb Iran’s nuclear capability. The bombing could be as early as next month. —ABC report

Crucially, Australia is part of the so-called “Five Eyes” global intelligence partners which includes the US, UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand, and plays in a key role in hosting top-secret facilities that guide American spy satellites. 

According to the breaking report, ABC [Australian Broadcasting Corporation] has learned the following based on statements of key senior defense and intelligence officials:

  • Senior Government figures have told the ABC they believe the Trump administration is prepared to bomb Iran

  • They say Australian defence facilities would likely play a role in identifying possible targets

  • But another senior source, in security, emphasizes there is a difference between providing intelligence and “active targeting”

The report cites high level Aussie government officials who say that secretive Australian defense and intelligence facilities would likely cooperate with the United States and Britain in identifying targets in a strike on Iran. 

One particular facility, the Pine Gap joint defense facility in the Northern Territory, would play a significant targeting role in joint US-led strikes on Iran, according to the report, it’s “considered crucial among the so-called ‘Five Eyes’ intelligence partners… for its role in directing American spy satellites.”

And further, other agencies are expected to play a role:

Analysts from the little-known spy agency Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation would also be expected to play a part.

Canada would be unlikely to play a role in any military action in Iran,

 » Lees verder

Irans oberster Führer Khamenei fordert Garantien von Europa

Irans oberster Führer Khamenei fordert Garantien von Europa

24-05-18 07:32:00,

Ayatollah Khamenei, Treffen am 23. Mai 2018 Foto: khamenei.ir/ CC BY 4.0

Merkel betont erneut, dass sie an der JCPOA-Vereinbarung festhalten will

Merkel möchte an der JCPOA-Vereinbarung mit Iran festhalten, wie sie bei ihrem Besuch in China nun erneut bekräftigte. “Auf jeden Fall eint uns die Haltung, dass wir dieses Abkommen nicht zur Disposition stellen wollen”, wird die Kanzlerin von der Tagesschau aus Peking zitiert.

Sie verwies auch auf Unterschiede zwischen China und der EU gegenüber Iran. Es könnte sein, dass ein Teil der europäischen Unternehmen ihre Standorte in Iran verlassen, so Merkel, und dass dadurch die Möglichkeit entstehe, “dass andere dann mehr in den Iran hinein gehen können”. Womit gemeint sein dürfte, dass US-Sanktionen auf chinesische Unternehmen eine weniger abschreckende Wirkung haben als auf europäische.

Indessen empören sich deutsche Wirtschaftsunternehmen über die nächste Ankündigung von Handelsbeschränkungen durch US-Präsident Trump.

Khamenei stellt E3 vor größere Schwierigkeiten

In Teheran hatte gestern der Oberste Führer Ayatollah Khamenei seinerseits Bedingungen für die drei europäischen Länder genannt, damit das Atomabkommen beibehalten würde. Sie stellen die E3-Länder – Großbritannien, Frankreich und Deutschland – vor größere Schwierigkeiten. Es ist ziemlich unwahrscheinlich, dass sie erfüllt werden.

So fordert Khamenei, dass Europa garantieren müsse, dass “iranische Raketen” und “iranische Regionalpolitik” nicht zu Verhandlungsthemen erhoben werden. Wie sollten die europäischen Länder dies garantieren können, wenn gerade diese beiden Themen das Kernstück der Forderungen der USA und Israels sind. Weder von Macron, noch von May oder von Merkel gab es bislang Äußerungen, dass sie mit diesen Nachforderungen nicht einverstanden sind.

Ganz im Gegenteil sprachen sich Macron und Merkel bisher deutlich für Nachverhandlungen des JCPOA aus, ausdrücklich diese beide Punkte betreffen. Wie sollten sie ihre Haltung dazu ändern können? In der Öffentlichkeit gebe es für eine solche Wende kein Verständnis.

Umgehend würde diese Haltung als nicht vereinbar mit den elementaren Sicherheitsinteressen Israels gewertet und als ein den strategischen Interessen des Nato-Partners USA abtrünniges, übergroßes Entgegenkommen an Iran.

Dass Khamenei diese Forderung zusammen mit anderen Garantieerklärungen wie etwa zur Abnahme von iranischem Rohöl oder sofortigen Gegenmaßnahmen bei Sanktionen gegen Iran stellt, hat wie ein heute bei der Nachrichtenagentur Fars veröffentlichter Bericht nahelegt,

 » Lees verder