Big Tech Isn’t As Clean As You Think | ZeroHedge

13-01-21 06:24:00,

Authored by Irene Slav via OilPrice.com,

They are among the biggest – and most generous – backers of the renewable energy shift.

http://www.zerohedge.com/

They are advertising themselves as environmentally responsible companies that source their raw materials from ethical locations and cutting the offering of products that consumers don’t use to reduce packaging-related emissions.

And they are the driver behind a global electronic waste crisis. Meet Big Tech. Last year, Apple said its iPhone 12 will sell without a charging adapter, like the latest Apple Watches, to reduce the amount of electronic waste its products generate.

“There are also over 2 billion Apple power adapters out there in the world, and that’s not counting the billions of third-party adapters. We’re removing these items from the iPhone box, which reduces carbon emissions and avoids the mining and use of precious materials,” Wired quoted Apple’s VP of environment, policy, and social initiatives, Lisa Jackson.

Yet it’s not the chargers that are the big problem, according to e-waste experts. Last year, the world generated a record amount of e-waste, topping 53.6 million metric tons, E-Waste Monitor said in its latest report. This amount represented a 21-percent increase over five years. And e-waste will continue growing, the report warned. It could reach 74 million metric tons by 2030.

Recycling rates, meanwhile, are meager. Last year, they stood at less than 20 percent of the total e-waste the world generated. Unless something changes very quickly and radically, this rate is unlikely to change much in the future, either.

“We don’t have the technology to take a truck full of old iPhones, molt them down, grind them up and make new iPhones out of them. It’s flat out physically impossible,” the chief executive of repairs hub iFixit, Kyle Wiens, told CNBC’s Dain Evans recently.

“Smartphones and tablets are challenging,” according to John Shegerian, CEO of Electronic Recyclers International, who also spoke to CNBC’s Wiens.

“Many of them are no longer made with screws; they’re made with glue. Glue makes things very hard to take apart and recover materials from because it degrades the value of the commodity product itself.”

People are increasingly reliant on smartphones and other consumer electronics,

 » Lees verder

Why Isn’t WHO’s Advice to Reduce Cell Phone and WiFi Radiation Exposure Publicized During the Pandemic? – Activist Post

20-04-20 08:58:00,

By B.N. Frank

There’s research that says that exposure to wireless radiation (5G, Bluetooth, cell phone radiation and WiFi) can greatly compromise our health AND make us vulnerable to illness (including respiratory illnesses) AND weaken the blood-brain barrier (see 1, 2) which can cause it to leak!  Health experts have been recommending that we reduce our exposure long before the World Health Organization (WHO) classified cell phone radiation as “possibly carcinogenic”.   More research has been published since then and even WHO scientists believe that the “possibly carcinogenic” categorization isn’t strong enough.

From Environmental Health Trust:

  1. 2011: Wireless radiation is classified as a “Possible Human Carcinogen” by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

    World Health Organization Press Release on Wireless Radiation

    World Health Organization Press Release on Wireless Radiation

2019 Update: WHO/IARC Advisory group recommend re-evaluating RF in light of new science since 2011 classification. 

  • The  advisory group of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of World Health Organization  advisory group has released new recommendations to reassess  as a “high priority” the cancer risks of radiofrequency (RF) radiation between 2020–2024.  The  recommendations were published in The Lancet  Oncology on April 18, 2019. The  IARC advisory group of 29 scientists from 18 countries met in March,

 » Lees verder

‘Covid-19 isn’t going to go away’: Having face masks on will become NEW REALITY to live with, WHO envoy warns

14-04-20 02:26:00,

Wearing face masks will become a “revolutionary” new norm of life the world needs to get accustomed to, just like it did when learning of cholera in the 19th century and of HIV in the 20th, a WHO coronavirus expert predicted.

“Some form of facial protection, I’m sure, is going to become the norm,” not least to give people a sense of reassurance, World Health Organization (WHO) special envoy David Nabarro told the BBC. This “new reality” will persist because Covid-19, which has so far claimed close to 116,000 of lives globally, “isn’t going to go away.”

Also on rt.com
‘Do wear masks but don’t think you’re safe’: Top Soviet virologist & WHO expert explains Covid-2019 & debunks popular myths

Scientists don’t know if patients are able to generate immunity even after recovering from the coronavirus, Nabarro warned. The world is also miles away from the much-awaited vaccine, and its absence means that people have to cope using what they currently have.

Yes, we will have to wear masks. Yes, there will have to be more physical distancing.

Interrupting the virus transmission will likely become “a revolution” similar to the one that happened after “it was discovered that dirty water bore cholera in 1850,” or some 25 years ago when “we all learned about HIV/AIDS and its relationship with sex.”

Demand for masks and respirators skyrocketed after the Covid-19 outbreak, with medical facilities around the globe quickly running out of the crucial protective gear. Normally, healthcare staff have to put on — and then dispose of — a face mask, gloves and a protective robe every time when contacting a symptomatic or confirmed Covid-19 patient.

Wearing masks by regular citizens has become a matter of big debate in the media and scientific community. Some argue that commercially available masks lack adequate protection and therefore are useless against contagious respiratory illnesses such as the coronavirus. Others insist they do work, especially in overcrowded places.

WHO itself maintains that while a medical mask “can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including Covid-19,” the use of it alone is insufficient.

 » Lees verder

Coronavirus isn’t stopping trade between Russia & China

19-03-20 09:02:00,

While the coronavirus pandemic is wreaking havoc on global trade, cargo volume between Russia and its biggest trading partner, China, is growing, according to the Russian consul general in Harbin, Vladimir Oschepkov.

“According to our estimates, the volume of cargo transportation between our countries is gradually increasing,” the diplomat told RIA Novosti.

More than 300 trucks and up to 35 trains cross the border in both directions every day. Russian carriers mainly transport wood, soy, coal, ore, and fertilizers, which are in demand in China due to the beginning of seasonal field work.

Also on rt.com
Russia & China complete their first cross-border mega highway bridge (VIDEO)

The consul general noted that the measures imposed to contain the spread of Covid-19 affect bilateral trade, but as soon as the restrictions are lifted, it will quickly rebound. The Chinese economy is slowly recovering from the pandemic, which is believed to have originated in Hubei province. Many companies, both domestic and foreign, have already resumed operations across the country, but some analysts say production capacity has not been fully restored.

According to Oschepkov, around 90 percent of export-oriented facilities in the Chinese regions bordering Russia have already returned to work.

Trade turnover between the two countries set a new record last year, rising more than three percent to surpass $110 billion. Trade volume continued to increase in the first two months of this year – more than five percent compared to the same period of 2019.

Also on rt.com
China getting back to business as worst of coronavirus outbreak in country appears to be over

For more stories on economy & finance visit RT’s business section

 » Lees verder

The MH17 Show Trial Isn’t About Justice Or Closure, But Information Warfare

13-03-20 09:14:00,

Authored by Andrew Korybko via Off-Guardian.org,

The MH17 tragedy is back in the news after the start of this case’s show trial in the Netherlands, which isn’t about bringing the alleged perpetrators to justice or helping the victims’ families find closure, but waging information warfare against Russia in an attempt to “conclusively” pin the blame for this crime on its supposed proxies in Eastern Ukraine so as to ruin President Putin’s international reputation once and for all.

The world is once again talking about the MH17 tragedy after the start of this case’s show trial in the Netherlands, where four of the alleged perpetrators are being accused of murder. It’s unlikely that they’ll appear before the court, so the entire process is more about show than substance.

In case the reader doesn’t remember exactly what happened on that fateful summer day on 17 July, 2014, the author recommends that they review his most recent analysis on the issue from earlier this year titled “Latest MH17 Documentary By SBU Whistleblower Shares Some Shocking Truths”, which covers what he believes to be the most convincing version of events that transpired immediately before, during, and after the passenger jet was shot down over Eastern Ukraine.

In short, the conventional narrative that the Russian-aligned rebels there were responsible is debunked as a convenient cover-up for masking Kiev’s culpability, which in turn also makes that government’s Western backers — and not Russia — indirectly responsible. It’s therefore understandable that a lot of powerful forces are invested in making their manufactured version of the “truth” the “official” one, hence the show trial, which is nothing more than an attempt to “conclusively” pin the blame for this crime on Russia and its supposed proxies in Eastern Ukraine.

Before going any further, it needs to be said that victims’ families have every right to be upset about what happened, and that everyone should respect their right to draw their own conclusions about what took place even if one doesn’t ultimately agree with them. The author doesn’t believe that Russia or the Eastern Ukrainian rebels were responsible, but acknowledges that some of the victims’ families think differently, especially after some of them staged a silent protest outside of the Russian Embassy in The Hague over the weekend.

 » Lees verder