Whistleblowers Report New Cars Are Vulnerable To Hacking And Thousands Could Die Because Of It

whistleblowers-report-new-cars-are-vulnerable-to-hacking-and-thousands-could-die-because-of-it

14-08-19 10:53:00,

By B.N. Frank

The world would undoubtedly be a better place if there was never ever another impaired driver on the road.  But what about when vehicles are impaired due to hacking?

Older vehicles weren’t able to be hacked, and studies continue to warn about the potential for new vehicles to be hacked and how this could lead to massive traffic gridlocks as well as people dying.

From Consumer Watchdog:

A consumer advocacy group has warned that automakers are rolling out new vehicles increasingly vulnerable to hackers, which could result in thousands of deaths in the event of a mass cyberattack.

In a new report entitled “Kill Switch: Why Connected Cars Can Be Killing Machines And How To Turn Them Off,” Los Angeles-based Consumer Watchdog said cars connected to the internet are quickly becoming the norm but constitute a national security threat.

“The troubling issue for industry technologies is that these vehicles’ safety-critical systems are being linked to the internet without adequate security and with no way to disconnect them in the event of a fleet-wide hack,” the report said.

It said industry executives were aware of the risk but were nonetheless pushing ahead in deploying the technology in new vehicles, putting corporate profit ahead of safety.

The report was based on a five-month study with the help of more than 20 whistleblowers from within the car industry.

The group of car industry technologists and experts speculated that a fleet-wide hack at rush hour could leave about 3,000 people dead.

“You can control all sorts of aspects of your car from your smartphone, including starting the engine, starting the air conditioning, checking on its location,” said one of the whistleblowers, who were not identified.

“Well, if you can do it with your smartphone anybody else can over the internet.”

The report recommends all connected vehicles be equipped with an internet kill switch and that all new designs should completely isolate safety-critical systems from internet-connected infotainment systems or other networks.

“Connecting safety-critical systems to the internet is inherently dangerous design,” said Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog.

 » Lees verder

Whistleblowers Say NSA Still Spies on American Phones in Hidden Program

whistleblowers-say-nsa-still-spies-on-american-phones-in-hidden-program

14-03-19 03:43:00,

Whistleblowers Say NSA Still Spies on American Phones in Hidden Program

Nafeez AHMED

On Monday 4th, the New York Times reported that the National Security Agency has “quietly” shut down a controversial phone records surveillance program revealed by whistleblower Edward Snowden in 2013.

The claim was made by a senior Republican congressional aide who told the newspaper that the Trump administration had stopped using the program, which analyses the domestic call and text logs of American citizens, due to technical problems.

On Twitter Snowden hailed the news as a “victory”, while Intercept journalist Glen Greenwald, who broke the Snowden story to international acclaim, took the story at face value. Neither of them raised the obvious question — is the “shut down” of this program merely a smokescreen to continue spying on American phones under new or different secretive programs?

Since then, further doubt was cast on the NYT report when NSA chief General Paul Nakasone refused to confirm or deny the story. But he did tell a major security conference on Wednesday that the agency was still “in a deliberative process” about whether to use a revamped version of the vast database of American phone records.

All of this, however, is an elaborate ruse. According to two former top NSA officials interviewed by INSURGE, there is no credible reason to believe that NSA phone surveillance has truly been shut down.

What shut down?

When the NYT story broke, I reached out to two former senior NSA officials, Russ Tice and Thomas Drake, to find out what they thought.

Both of them told me that the NSA’s shut down of this particular program did not imply an end to domestic phone record surveillance, but quite the opposite — that the program had been superseded by superior technology.

According to Russ Tice, a former senior NSA intelligence analyst who had previously worked with the US Air Force, Office of Naval Intelligence and Defense Intelligence Agency, the latest claim that the NSA was rolling up phone surveillance beggared belief.

“Why would anyone believe a bloody word of what NSA says about their mass domestic surveillance programs?” said Tice, who was the first NSA whistleblower who exposed unlawful surveillance and wiretaps of American citizens as early as May 2005.

 » Lees verder

How the FBI Silences Whistleblowers

How the FBI Silences Whistleblowers

19-10-18 11:52:00,

Speaking truth to power has ruined Darin
Jones, a former FBI contract specialist who
reported evidence of serious procurement
improprieties. He should be the last federal
whistleblower victimized, writes John
Kiriakou.

By John Kiriakou

October 17, 2018 Information
Clearing House

The idea of “whistleblowing” has been in the
news a great deal.


Is the
anonymous author of a recent

New York
Times op-ed

eviscerating the president a whistleblower?
 


Is the victim
of an

alleged
sexual assault

by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh a
whistleblower?  


I’m fortunate
to have

access to the
media

to talk about torture after

blowing the
whistle

on the

CIA’s program
.
I think Ed Snowden, Tom Drake and others
would say the same thing about the aftermath
of their own whistleblowing.

Cost of
Doing the Right Thing


The problem is that we are the exception to
the rule. Most whistleblowers either suffer
in anonymity or are personally,
professionally, socially and financially
ruined for speaking truth to power. Darin
Jones is one of those people. He’s one of
the people silenced in Barack Obama’s war on
whistleblowers. And he continues to suffer
under Donald Trump.



Jones was an
FBI supervisory contract specialist who in
2012 reported evidence of

serious
procurement improprieties

to his superior. Jones maintained that
Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) had been

awarded a $40 million contract improperly

because a former FBI official with
responsibility for granting the contract
then was hired as a consultant at CSC. Jones
said, rightly, that this was a violation of
the

Procurement
Integrity Act
.
He made seven other disclosures alleging
financial improprieties in the FBI,

 » Lees verder